Upcoming & Recent Events!
For my latest news and events – click on this link
1) SUNDAY 9/28 from 1 – 4 pm in Tompkins Square Park, NYC
Come help me create a live “Witness Tree” as part of the Human Impacts Creative Climate Call to Action! This interactive performance will feature photos from my Witness Tree project about the effects of climate change around the world. I have photographed on every continent and want to share the stories I’ve collected with you and want to hear your experiences and concerns about the climate.
Let’s get personal about climate change! Share your stories and make eco-pledges. All are welcome! This is a family-friendly event. Come enjoy the day in Tompkins Square Park. There is a Farmer’s Market on Sundays from 9-6 and a big playground. I’d love to get some press about this event so share it far and wide especially with your friends in the media!
THE DETAILS: This interactive audience-engagement performance consists of several components:
a) Dozens of 5×7″ photographic prints from The Witness Tree will be hanging on ribbons from a tree in the middle of Tompkins Square Park on the Lower East Side of Manhattan* On the back of each print, a title, caption and world map, will explain where the photo was taken and the climate disruption happening in that location. Each print will also list suggestions on how to lower your carbon footprint.
b) Attendees will be asked to participate in this performance by creating hand-made postcards depicting climate change effects they have witnessed. Bring your own photo or use the supplied materials. As this is a ” fair-trade” event you may trade your creative postcard for one of my 5×7″ prints hanging on the tree. After the event, all postcards will be delivered to our local and national politicians to let them know how concerned we are about the climate crisis. If you don’t have time to make a postcard, we’ll have Witness Tree postcards to fill in.
c) Two artist’s easels will be set up near The Witness Tree. On one, participants will list the effects of climate change they have witnessed in NYC or other locations around the world. The other, will ask “witnesses” to promise one way they will lower their carbon footprint that coming week. Volunteers will be handing out small tips sheets with carbon-saving suggestions to spur ideas. Witnesses may take these tip sheets home to post on their mirror or fridge as a reminder of their pledge.
* Enter the park from the SW corner of East 7th Street and Avenue A and follow the path toward the middle of the park. Chalk arrows will help lead you to the event.
Here are some other upcoming and recent events/ exhibits.
– Thursday 10/30, 7 – 10 pm – The Human Impacts Institute’s Creative Climate Awards Celebration: It’s Getting Hot in Here! – an evening of drinks, dancing and fun! Fitzroy Gallery, Chrystie Street 195 Chrystie St, New York, NY 10002.
– Monday 9/15 from 6:30 – 8. Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in New York (TECO) / 1 East 42nd Street, 4th Fl (5th and Madison). The Launch Party for The Human Impacts Institute’s Creative Climate Awards. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this reception but would be happy to meet anyone there for a walk-though of the exhibit (which includes three of my photos) at another time. It will be up until October 15th.
– Tuesday 9/16: opening reception for the Jerseyscapes exhibit at NJCU from 5- 8 pm. **Artist’s talks begin in the Visual Arts Gallery at 6:30 pm** (100 Culver Avenue / Jersey City, NJ 07305). The exhibit remains up until October 23rd.
– Saturday 9/20 at 10:45am – 12:15 pm. As part of the Climate Convergence Conference , I’ll be participating in an engaging panel discussion: Visual Realities of Climate Change: Food Realities and Landscape at the Museum of Reclaimed Urban Spaces, Video Room (155 Avenue C, between 9th and 10th St).